CMDR occupies two spacious laboratories on the 5th floor of the Goodyear Polymer Center at the University of Akron.
Equipment located in the CMDR laboratories includes:
- A 1000 watt microwave reactor.
For dynamite reviews on microwave synthesis, see:
B. L. Hayes "Recent Advances in Microwave-Assisted Synthesis" Aldrichimica Acta 2004, 37(2), 66-77.
F. Weisbrock, R. Hoogenboom, U. S. Schubert "Microwave-Assisted Polymer Synthesis: State-of-the-Art and Future Perspectives" Macromolec. Rapid Commun. 2004, 25, 1739-1764.
- A soon to be purchased 500 MHz NMR.
- A BAS Epsilon Electrochemistry apparatus with standard cyclic voltammetry and rotating disk electrode capabilities.
- An Agilent Technologies 1100 series HPLC with diode array and refractive index detection.
- Bruker and Matson FTIR spectrometers with Attenuated Total Reflectance (ATR) accessories.
- An Ocean Optics fiber optics-based, UV-vis spectrometer.
- Both a small scale and large scale (2 gal capacity) Parr hydrogenation apparatus (up to 2000 psi) as well as a low pressure shaker-type apparatus.
- Two 10 Liter and one 20 Liter fully automated reactor systems with liquid-liquid extraction capabilities.
- A Silicon Graphics Octane with dual R12000 processors and Cerius2 molecular modeling software from Accelrys, Inc.
Members of CMDR have access to several NMR and Mass spectrometers within The Department of Chemistry, including:
- The Magnetic Resonance Laboratory (3 of their NMRs are located adjacent to the first floor lobby of the Goodyear Polymer Center)
- The Mass Spectroscopy Laboratory
And The Institute for Polymer Science, as well as The Department of Polymer Science that also provides a wide variety of other instrumentation and support services that includes:
- An electron microscopy laboratory
- A molecular characterization laboratory
- An electronics shop
- A machine shop
- A glassblowing shop
Aids for CMDR Members
© 2014 Center for Molecular Design and Recognition
All rights reserved.
Please send questions or comments concerning this website to
^ back to top ^